Sunday, June 25, 2006

Kari's Restaurant Awards

Best Overall:
Pepper Sisters.
Unique, exciting & flavorful food, Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale on tap, my weird passion for posole and free, warm, soft sopaipillas for dessert. If it weren't for the warm temp inside the restaurant & the sometimes long waits, it would be heaven.

Best Splurge:
Flats Tapas Bar. Ok, so I know that if you do the math, the cost of this place can equal out to $1 or more per bite of food. But that bite is so flavorful, rich and marvelous that you feel like you've had five. It has a fancier name, but the sausage on bread sandwich thingy is our favorite. And the scallops, and the fritatta with truffle oil. mmmmmm... Did I mention that one night the hostess carried our son around the restaurant for 30 minutes while we ate our dinner? Now THAT is service.

Best Breakfast Pastries:
Avenue Bread
My husband will hate me for this one since his idea of breakfast pastries are Chuck's Donuts in Renton. But I prefer the delicate flaky crust & faintly orangey taste of a sweet cheese danish at Avenue Bread. Even if it costs 10 times as much as a Chuck's donut.

Best Mexican:
Taco Lobo
1) Al Pastor, a juicy sweet slow cooked pork taco filling
2) Amazing fresh corn tortillas
3) the best refried beans I've ever tasted

Best Nursery:
Bear Creek
Quiet, secluded... sure the plants aren't steals, but they're not the most expensive in town either. All things being equal, its the location, friendliness of the staff & the fun variety of plants that makes this place a stand out.

Best Burgers:
Boomers Drive In
Skip the rows of fast food joints on Samish Avenue & drive into Boomers. I know it kills you to wait 15 minutes for your burger, fries & shake, but trust me, it is worth it. And getting all three of those in the Boomer's "combo meal" for around $5.50 is a much better deal than paying the same for flavored cardboard at ol' McD's.

Most interesting newcomer:
Sharazad
This is a Persian place where the old Mallard ice cream used to be. For some reason I find myself craving the Kubideh (ground meat kabob) & Barg (steak kabob) with salad. Simple, lightly spiced, but fresh, healthy feeling & tasty. Their baklava is cheaper than most, generous & wonderful.

Best for groups:
Boundary Bay Brewery
Some of their dishes are a little funky, but the prices are great and there's enough variety to satisfy everyone. I like the cheesesteak sandwich.

Best Thai:
That place downtown that plays techno & has lots of guys in tight shirts.... HA!
Well it has decent food, but I prefer the ambience of On Rice or Busara. It's pretty much a toss up between those two.

Best place to buy avacados:
Haggens
50 cents a pop this week!

Best breakfast:
Old Town Cafe
There are quite a few great places, but I have to go with Old Town Cafe on this one because they have a kids play area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, well I cannot comment on EVERY one of your mentionings but I will say that Harris Ave is my favorite breakfast place (it is the Tony's coffee in Fairhaven). On Sunday mornings you can sit in the window seat, drink Tony's Paradise Blend and enjoy a delicious Chubby Checker Scramble (one of my husband's favorites) or their wonderful french toast (only rivaled by Seattle's Jitterbug with Ginger/Molasses butter). The place is cramped but they know their locals and it is a wonderful place to watch all kinds of people enjoying a local favorite (some morning after WWU students and South Hills residents after a morning stroll).

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, and one more thing...as far as best splurge...I cannot disagree with you on service but I do have a problem paying a lot for Tapas. In Spain, Tapas are small plates, and in Spain they actually come with a small price. The afternoon meal is the largest of the day and people generally have a Cerveza or a glass of wine with some Tapas in the evening which don't nearly resemble the "gourmet" offerings of Flats. Although tasty, I would have to say that it is hard to justify that price per bite of $1. Try it and decide yourself but don't expect that type of food/price or customer service when you visit the Madrileanians (how do you spell that?).