Friday, July 07, 2006

Black Drop

Location: 300 W Champion St
(360) 738-3767
Website

Summary: For serious coffee that's an art form

I was in The Black Drop the other day and learned about their free espresso Fridays. Black Drop is one of those few coffee places that actually takes their coffee making quite seriously. Serious enough to even impress these guys. Maybe I should say obsessive. Anyways, so they have great coffee and the best micro foam I've had in a long time outside of my old favorite Uptown Espresso.

Back to the point, Free Espresso Fridays, you can go into the store all day Friday and get a free double shot of espresso. I love the rules... You can add sugar & cream, but no doctoring it at the condiment bar to make it a latte or americano. You have to drink the thing strong. I think this is fabulous, a great way to promote the finer points of espresso vs. milk drinks. Don't get me wrong, I love milk drinks. But I also understand that espresso shots are an art unto themselves and appreciating them is like wine tasting. But ordering one at a coffee bar seems like such a waste. So now I can go taste the real deal for free every friday. I love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh....I love the Black Drop. I went there with a friend to have coffee before we had our hair cut across the street at Studio 112 on a Saturday morning. We came in, and although you aren't served within a short time window (vs Starbucks), you are served more than just a latte (I almost felt bad drinking it, read ahead). As Kari said, it is more of an art. He created some sort of amazing foam pattern that was especially pleasing to the barista, took out his digital camera and captured the moment. Have you ever seen anyone at Starbucks do that? The Black Drop has it all, a witty name without being obnoxious (like Espresso Express); good ambiance (without trying); great location (bringing back downtown); and above it all, a great Black Drop. Enjoy. Thanks for reminding your readers what a great place it is!